Discover South Kensington brings together the leading cultural and educational organisations in South Kensington – home of science, arts and inspiration.
This is one of the world’s most popular cultural destinations and home to an extraordinary cluster of world-leading organisations pioneering innovation and learning in science and the arts. Here we generate and share knowledge and inspire the engineers, designers, scientists, musicians and artists of the future and together we welcome over 20 million visitors each year.
Discover South Kensington is an initiative of the Exhibition Road Cultural Group. We are a registered charity and our members are Natural History Museum, the Science Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum, Imperial College London, Goethe-Institut, Institut franҫais, the Ismaili Centre, Kensington Palace, Royal Albert Hall, Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, Royal College of Music, Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851, Royal Geographical Society (with IBG), Serpentine Galleries, The Royal Parks, the Design Museum and Ognisko Polskie. Discovery is at the core of what happens here and there is so much to explore every day.
More details about our member's events can be downloaded here: discover_south_kensington_leaflet_2017.pdf
The members of Exhibition Road Cultural Group work together to:
- Experience: Improve how it feels to visit, work, study and live here by enhancing the public space as an introduction to the creativity and innovation within our institutions
- Explore: Make it easier to find out what you can do here and to understand the value of this group of organisations by describing and promoting what this area has to offer
- Exchange: Help each other promote innovation, inspiration and learning by addressing shared issues together and sparking new ideas.
Priority work strands
- Promoting what happens here to visitors, staff, students and residents – encouraging people to discover more of what is offer here. Raising the profile of South Kensington as the home of science, arts and inspiration.
- Working with Transport for London and local stakeholders to help make sure development plans for South Kensington station meet the needs of our users.
- Playing a leading role in shaping future development of public realm and neighbourhood of Exhibition Road and South Kensington.
- Encouraging a programme of high-quality public activities in Exhibition Road throughout the year that connect with the story and values of our group of organisations.
As an organisation, the Exhibition Road Cultural Group, brings together educational and cultural collaborations across the arts and sciences in South Kensington and examples of our collaborations include:
- Music Day – a musical festival with a wide range of music genres all celebrating the diversity of international cultures in an accessible and creative way (2006 – 2012)
- Creative Quarter – a day of free events for 13-19 year olds providing career advice from leading designers, scientists and artists (2005 – 2017)
- Supersonix - an international celebration of the art and science (2012)
- Tim Peake Launch Event - Exhibition Road hosted a day of celebrations as Tim Peake, the first British ESA astronaut, blasted into space on his mission to the International Space Station (2015)
- Exhibition Road Commission - bringing together leading international artists with scientists, researchers and creative thinkers around Exhibition Road (2016 – 2017)
- Sir Michael Dixon, Natural History Museum (Co-Chair)
- Luke Blair, Imperial College London (Co-Chair)
- Sue Harris, Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea
- Jonathan Newby, Science Museum
- Tim Reeve, Victoria and Albert Museum
- Craig Hassall, Royal Albert Hall
- Nigel Williams, Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851
- Angela Kaya, Goethe-Institut
- Salim Janmohamed, Ismaili Centre
- Officers: Peter Dickinson, Science Museum
- Finance Officer – Nasim Jetha
- Company Secretary – Peter Ramage
- Emily Candler – Executive Director
- Sarah Berresford – Marketing & Communication Manager
- Carlo Rizzo - Director, Exhibition Road Comission
Contact us firstname.lastname@example.org or 0207 942 5320 . For more information about the Exhibition Road Commission contact email@example.com.
If you are looking to hire somewhere in South Kensington, London, whether it is for a conference, private party, meeting room, film location or wedding, there are some unique venues to consider. Click here for a full list.
Charity Number:1123758 Company Number:05983125