Discover South Kensington brings together the leading cultural and educational organisations in South Kensington – home of science, arts and inspiration.
This is one of the world’s most popular cultural destinations and home to an extraordinary cluster of world-leading organisations pioneering innovation and learning in science and the arts. Here we generate and share knowledge and inspire the engineers, designers, scientists, musicians and artists of the future and together we welcome over 20 million visitors each year.
Discover South Kensington is an initiative of the Exhibition Road Cultural Group. We are a registered charity and our members are Natural History Museum, the Science Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum, Imperial College London, Goethe-Institut, Institut franҫais, the Ismaili Centre, Kensington Palace, Royal Albert Hall, Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, Royal College of Music, Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851, Royal Geographical Society (with IBG), Serpentine Galleries, Westminster City Council, The Royal College of Art, The Royal Society of Sculptors, South Kensington Estates, The Royal Parks, the Design Museum and Japan House London. Discovery is at the core of what happens here and there is so much to explore every day.
More details about our member's events can be downloaded here: discover_south_kensington_leaflet.pdf
The members of Exhibition Road Cultural Group work together to:
- Experience: Improve how it feels to visit, work, study and live here by enhancing the public space as an introduction to the creativity and innovation within our institutions
- Explore: Make it easier to find out what you can do here and to understand the value of this group of organisations by describing and promoting what this area has to offer
- Exchange: Help each other promote innovation, inspiration and learning by addressing shared issues together and sparking new ideas.
Priority work strands
- Promoting what happens here to visitors, staff, students and residents – encouraging people to discover more of what is offer here. Raising the profile of South Kensington as the home of science, arts and inspiration.
- Working with Transport for London and local stakeholders to help make sure development plans for South Kensington station meet the needs of our users.
- Playing a leading role in shaping future development of public realm and neighbourhood of Exhibition Road and South Kensington.
- Encouraging a programme of high-quality public activities in Exhibition Road throughout the year that connect with the story and values of our group of organisations.
As an organisation, the Exhibition Road Cultural Group, brings together educational and cultural collaborations across the arts and sciences in South Kensington and examples of our collaborations include:
- South Ken Outdoor Trail - this summer (2021), South Kensington will come back to life with surprising green spaces and three green interventions on Exhibition Road creating habitat to support biodiversity and the recovery of London’s arts and science district. A new trail will connect green spaces across the district.
- The Great Exhibition Road Festival - over one weekend this summer, South Kensington’s Exhibition Road hosted a celebration of curiosity and discovery, with a new, free festival of art, science and culture. (2019)
- Day of Design Festival (2018 & 2019) - a collaboration between multiple partners along Exhibition Road, to celebrate the final day of London Design Festival and the V&A’s Digital Design Weekend
- Creative Quarter – a day of free events for 13-19 year olds providing career advice from leading designers, scientists and artists (2005 – 2019)
- Exhibition Road Commission - bringing together leading international artists with scientists, researchers and creative thinkers around Exhibition Road (2016 – 2017)
- Tim Peake Launch Event - Exhibition Road hosted a day of celebrations as Tim Peake, the first British ESA astronaut, blasted into space on his mission to the International Space Station (2015)
- Music Day – a musical festival with a wide range of music genres all celebrating the diversity of international cultures in an accessible and creative way (2006 – 2012)
- Supersonix - an international celebration of the art and science (2012)
Exhibition Road Events
We coordinate an annual programme of free public events in Exhibition Road that bring innovation and inspiration in the arts and science out the public realm. We welcome external partners for these events. Our strategy for events in Exhibition Road can be downloaded here.
- Craig Hassall, Royal Albert Hall (Co-Chair)
- Jonathan Newby, Science Museum (Co-Chair)
- Dr Alex Birch, Natural History Museum
- Emma Will, Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea
- Tim Reeve, Victoria and Albert Museum
- Maggie Dallman, Imperial College London
- Cllr Paul Swaddle OBE, Westminster City Council
- Nigel Williams, Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851
- Katharine Von Ruckteschell-Katte, Goethe-Institut
- Ali Khanbhai, Ismaili Centre
- Officers: Peter Dickinson, Science Museum
- Finance Officer – Nasim Jetha
- Company Secretary – Peter Ramage
- Emily Candler – Executive Director
- Sarah Berresford – Marketing & Communication Manager
Contact us firstname.lastname@example.org or 0207 942 5320.
If you are looking to hire somewhere in South Kensington, London, whether it is for a conference, private party, meeting room, film location or wedding, there are some unique venues to consider. Click here for a full list.
Charity Number:1123758 Company Number:05983125